Friday 31 May 2013

Ben Nevis and the Caledonian Canal

I am now a bit out of order. I left the boat in Mallaig on Friday 24 May to head home for a week via Fort William. Internet connection has been a big problem so I could not write up the last week, a spectacular few days spend between the Outer and Inner Hebrides including a trip to the infamous Couillins. I cannot do it now as I have left the photos on the boat, I will do it upon my return to the boat.

I had an uncomfortable blowy 24 hours in Mallaig but got all the jobs done and hopped on a 6am train for Fort William with a fine forecast. Was I really going to see the top of Ben Nevis? It was a wonderful train journey, 4 hours through the most stunning Highland scenery of mountains and lochs, much of it following the West Highland Way.

When I got to Fort William 'The Ben' still had his head in the cloud so with a clear day forcast for the following day I hired a bike and set off up the Caledonian Canal in beautiful sunshine. What a place! AND the midges still hadn't cottoned on to the fact it was May (they had obviously decided that one swallow does not make a spring!)

This is the Ben Nevis range (note the snow which came down on the miserable Thursday I had in Mallaig - the midges must also have clocked the temperature!)


The canal, built in the early 1800's by Thomas Telford to get shipping from one side of Scotland to the other without going round the much feared Cape Wrath (see blog in a few weeks time!!) starts with a series of  8 locks lifting small ships and boats up from the west coast sea loch to Loch Lochy, up again into Loch Ness then down into the sea again at Inverness.



Once up the locks and after 4 miles of canal the waterway opens up into Loch Lochy.














There were splendid views of Ben Nevis; note the shear (dark) north (left) side of Ben Nevis - more later.











Saturday dawned with a beautiful clear sky, I am told one of only about 10 days a year that the Ben has its head out of the clouds - I'd earned this,  I was on for Ben Nevis! Ben Nevis is the largest mountain in the British Isles. After a beautiful start from the valley floor the walk itself is a bit of a grind, a 4400' climb from almost sea level, much of it snaking up the south face walking mostly on scree.








The view from the top however are something different altogether! I reached the snow line at about 3500' and the views of the surrounding mountains started to open up, sadly a camera does not do justice.










On the summit you soon sea why this is such a dangerous mountain which does claim several lives each year. The 'path' (completely covered in a staggering 1.5 metres of snow) goes within 6' of a 500' shear drop that you could see on the earlier photo, look behind me!

The walk was 3 hours up and 2 down of actual walking time with a very nice snooze half way down next to a pretty lake at lunchtime.

I am now off home to spend a few days with my long suffering wife which I am looking forward to very much. I am heading back up on Saturday 1 June with Mike to set off for the second half of the west coast of Scotland.




No comments:

Post a Comment